Surgeons Recommendations for Bras after Breast Reconstruction
By Allison Goodlin
For many women their breasts are an important part of their identity as a woman. When cancer, congenital deformities, or other problems interfere with the breast tissue it can be an experience that challenges confidence and causes intense frustration. Luckily, breast reconstruction is an option for many women, restoring confidence and helping women to love the way they look once again.
After breast reconstruction that go-to favorite bra you loved before probably won’t fit the same way you remember. Reconstructed breasts may look and feel natural, but the implants and surgical techniques used do change the way that bras fit, making bra shopping a whole new experience. Dr. Steven Robinson, a breast surgeon at Ohio Plastic Surgeons, Inc. has put together some tips to make bra shopping a lot easier post-reconstruction. Save yourself the hassle of buying bras that don’t fit or that don’t flatter your figure and use these tips to ensure that your new breasts are everything you’ve always dreamed of.
Keep Those Reconstructed Beauties Looking Their Best with a Good Post-Surgical Bra
Your body needs time to heal after breast reconstruction surgery. Don’t rush into wearing fancy lingerie. A post-surgical bra will provide gentle support to your healing breasts, helping your implants to properly settle while avoiding irritation to your fresh, sensitive scars. While every woman (and surgeon) will have different ideas about the best post-surgical bra, here are some tips for finding one that works for you.
- Avoid Wires– Underwire bras aren’t an ideal choice post-surgery. The wires can poke at and irritate delicate scar tissue. Instead choose a non-wired bra that offers full coverage for maximum comfort while you heal. Likewise seams can also irritate scars, so choose a bra with few seams if possible.
- Front Closure is Easier to Wear Post-Reconstruction– Depending on your reasons for breast reconstruction, you may have limited mobility following your surgery. Women that have lymph nodes removed often have restrictions on movement and a back closure can be very difficult to fasten. Front closure bras are ideal after surgery, especially during the first few weeks until your range of motion returns.
- Choose a Comfortable Bra– Surgeons often recommend that women recovering from breast reconstruction wear a bra day and night for a period of time after surgery. Any woman that has tried sleeping in a bra knows that this has the potential to be very uncomfortable if you don’t have the right bra. Comfort is key during the recovery period.
Bra Shopping after Breast Reconstruction
After the healing period is complete you’ll be able to transition from a post-surgical bra to more traditional lingerie. These tips will help you in your search for the perfect bra.
- Types of Reconstruction Matters- There are several different types of breast reconstruction available from implants to flap reconstruction and more. While many techniques can lead to stunning results, each different type will impact how your new breasts fit into a bra. Women with implants often find that a larger bra size is needed to accommodate the different shape of breasts with implants while women receiving flap reconstruction find that their new breasts look and feel very similar to a natural breast.
- Get Fitted– Industry experts estimate that a majority of women are wearing bras that don’t fit. Take the time to get professionally fitted after breast reconstruction and find a bra that works with your new breasts. A good surgeon can create beautiful breasts, but it is up to the woman to ensure that these breasts are properly cared for post-surgery and that means a good, well-fitting bra.
- Do Your Research– There are so many fantastic bras out there, but many of the top brands aren’t carried on the racks at your local discount or department store. Learn as much as you can about the different brands available to find a high quality bra that really accentuates your reconstructed breasts. The resources available on LingerieBriefs.com are an excellent resource for learning about the many different brands of bras available.
Your breasts may be different after breast reconstruction surgery, but with the help of a skilled surgeon and a good bra you can get the look you have always dreamed of.